Bayhawks propose $278M development in Crownsville to be funded by taxpayers
Over the past 14-months, citizens of the Crownsville Small Area have met on numerous occasions to learn about the proposed Bayhawks' development and to determine their support or rejection.
On January 22, 2018, hundreds of Generals Highway corridor citizens filled South Shores Elementary, at the invitation of Councilmen Pruski and Trumbauer, to speak of their disapproval of the Bayhawks’ development in Crownsville.
The Generals Highway Council of Civic Associations, GHCCA has held two Community Leaders Forums and two GHCCA General Meetings, during which the vast majority of attendees spoke out in opposition to the Bayhawks proposed developments.
When on October 1, 2018 then County Executive candidate, Steuart Pittman, held his highest-attended of the 17 “Communities First Forums”, a unanimous no-confidence vote of attendees clearly rejected the Bayhawks proposal.
To-date, 2,470 individuals have added their names to an online petition to stop the Bayhawks' development in Crownsville.
If you are against the development and have not yet signed the petition, please CLICK HERE:
Annapolis Capital Article
March 23, 2018
Dr. Richard Falk,
GHCCA Steering Committee
WITH THE NEW
BAYHAWKS PLAN AS OF 4/20
An ideal solution for the
Crownsville Hospital property
Annapolis Capital Letter to Editor
April 16, 2018
Bayhawks willing to do the heavy lifting...
Major League lacrosse team involved with community
Capital article July 21, 2018
The Capital article on the Pittman Community First Forum in Crownsville
Baltimore Business Journal article on the Pittman Community First Forum in Crownsville
Citizens and Supporters of the
Generals Highway Corridor,
2019/2020 will likely be the time when major decisions are made that will ensure the longevity or our rural and residential way-of-life, or change the character of our community forever.
While, County Executive, Steuart Pittman, has stated that the Chesapeake Sports and Entertainment Group, CSEG, will not build a 10,000 seat stadium in Crownsville during his administration, CSEG is pushing ahead with a campaign to garner citizen support in the County.
They just won't get-it that the vast majority of Generals Highway citizens will not stand for this inappropriate and unacceptable development.
It's not a bad development; they just targeted the wrong location.
The best development for the Generals Highway Corridor
is for the County to acquire the Crownsville Hospital Center property from the Maryland Department of Mental Health for the purpose of preserving its open spaces and adaptively re-using its designated historic structures.
• Protect its fragile wetlands, extensive green spaces, woodlands, and wildlife by designating its site to be used as a county park, under the direction of Recs and Parks.
• Interconnect its forest and parkland to the adjacent 1,000-acre Bacon Ridge Natural Area for hiking, bike, and foot paths.
• Adaptively re-use, renovate, restore and thus protect the most valuable historic structures.
• Utilize its existing open land to provide opportunities for recreation uses and potential renewable energy site and plant native species.
So, Citizens of Anne Arundel County,
what do you want, and will your voice be heard?
One way to be heard is to sign the petition to
STOP the CSEG development in Crownsville.
2,179 citizens have signed to-date. (as of 1/28/19)
Candidate for County Executive
Endorses the Generals Highway Council's
Alternative Proposal for the
Crownsville Hospital Site
FOOD BANK LEASE EXTENDED
GHCCA Steering Committee member, Dr. Richard Falk, was advised on 7/23/18 by Maryland Delegate, Sid Saab via email, as follows
"At yesterday’s Board of Public Works meeting, the Board approved a one-year lease of space at the Crownsville Hospital Center, with two one-year renewal options, to Anne Arundel County Food Bank. The tenant uses the space for administrative offices and the storage of food and supplies for the Food Bank’s operations and has occupied space on the 1st and 2nd floors of Building A since 1996. The Lease is effective August 1, 2018 at the rate of $1.00 per year (Item 15 of the Department of General Services’ Agenda)."
proposed development on Crownsville Hospital site
Excerpts from the Capital article:
to read the entire Capital Sports article
major league lacrosse
Chesapeake Bayhawks president Burdett’s past professional experience in TV industry being used to take team to next level
July 1, 2018
The Capital: Owner Brendan Kelly has big plans for the Chesapeake Bayhawks and Major League Lacrosse.
Burdett has been the point man on developing and promoting Chesapeake Park. Crafted by the Chesapeake Sports and Entertainment Group, the complex proposed for the old Crownsville State Hospital property calls for a 10,000-seat stadium for the Bayhawks surrounded by 24 artificial turf fields, an indoor sports facility and 360 acres of green space, trails and parks.
Owner Brendan Kelly, “Mark is spending considerable time planning and driving the Chesapeake Park project,” Kelly said. “I think he’s done an outstanding job of working with government officials to make this project a reality and articulating how Chesapeake Park will be a positive addition to Anne Arundel County.” “Mark Burdett brings a different type of expertise and will take the Bayhawks to another level on the business side. Mark has an incredible understanding of media and marketing.”
Mark Burdett, "I’m all-in on Chesapeake Park. It makes so much sense on so many fronts. Personally, I am 100 percent convinced this facility will be of great benefit to Annapolis and Anne Arundel County. We need to find a way to get the public to understand how and why.”
Residents of the Generals Highway corridor, are the public who would be most affected by the Bayhawks' development on the Crownsville Hospital grounds.
Mark Burdett, President of the Chesapeake Bayhawks
In 1980, the Montgomery County Council made one of the most significant land-use decisions in county history by creating what they call the Agricultural Reserve. Heralded as one of the best examples of land conservation policies in the country, the Agricultural Reserve encompasses 93,000 acres – almost a third of the county’s land resources – along the county’s northern, western, and eastern borders.
Compare that with the opposite result in Loudon County, Virginia, just across the Potomac, pictured below.
Residents of the Generals Highway corridor have expressed their strong desires to retain their rural and residential area of Anne Arundel County as a “Greenbelt” that protects its extensive woodlands and natural beauty, retains its rural character, and provides adequate transportation serving the needs of its people.
Northern Virginia sprawl vs. Montgomery County's Agriculture Reserve
A clover-leaf on I-97 at Crownsville, combined with the Bayhawks' stadium, hotel, and shopping center, will inevitably lead to draconian changes to the Generals Highway corridor.
THE BACK STORY
A Partial History of the Crownsville Hospital Center.
Crownsville Hospital was established on April 11, 1910 by an act of the General Assembly (Chapter 250 of the Laws of Maryland of 1910). Originally the act stated that it was “a hospital for the Negro insane of Maryland”. This act allowed for an appropriation of $100,000 in order to purchase the land and erect buildings. Two of the prerequisites within the legislation required that the new hospital not be located in Baltimore, and the location should include a productive farm. The creation of this hospital allowed for the transfer of black patients from county almshouses and jails to a modern facility where they could receive care. Crownsville hospital’s location was to occupy a farm, eight miles north of Annapolis and housed its first patients in an existing farm building in 1911. For many years, the Crownsville Hospital also operated as the Tuberculosis Colony for black patients within Maryland. Conditions were considered poor even after this time as evidenced by the Washington Post Article “Overcrowded Hospital ‘Loses’ Curable Patients”, in which the author describes how the lack of adequate staff contributed to patients not receiving proper care. The hospital operated as a segregated institution until 1963, caring for the majority of the black patients within the State (while the hospital included white patients in 1949, there were separate facilities for these patients). After this, the hospital was part of a state system of “Regionalization” of the care of psychiatric patients (which for the Crownsville Hospital included Anne Arundel, St. Mary’s, Charles and Calvert counties as well as the southeastern portion of Baltimore City). Hospital population declined from the 1960s to its end. The Hospital Center was closed for budget concerns in July 2004, the 200 remaining patients being sent to the two remaining state hospitals.
The first patients were also involved in the construction of the original hospital complex. The first three buildings (the Administration Building, “A” Building, and “B” Building) were completed in 1913 and were designed by the Maryland firm of Baldwin and Pennington. These three buildings served as the main part of the facility until the hospital began to expand in 1925 with the Hugh Young Building and the Superintent’s House (designed by Henry Powell Hopkins). The Hospital enlarged its Physical Plant and erected The Marbury Building without outside resources in 1927. The next round of building began in 1930 and was connected to the original complex more than doubling its available square footage. The buildings involved in this expansion were the expansion of “C” Building, the Nurse’s Home, the addition to the Hugh Young Building and the Female Attendants’’ Home (designed by Joseph Evans Sperry). In 1942, two more significant buildings were erected, “The Psychology Building” and “The Winterode Complex”. Due to the 1949 Baltimore Sun article “Maryland’s Shame” highlighting the horrible conditions of black and white patients (including riots and fires) in Crownsville and Springfield hospitals, a concentrated building program was begun in 1950. The cemetery of the Hospital was dedicated as a preserve in 2004. Unfortunately most of the interred are only identified as numbers, possibly because they were identified in long lost patient files.